Position Description: Finance Manager
Basic Function: The Finance Manager position is accountable for the accounting and finance operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with accepted accounting principles and financial reporting standards.
The Finance Manager is also responsible for cash management and risk management. Important functions include conducting financial analysis in such areas as forecasting and budgeting, engaging in cost reduction analysis, and reviewing operational performance.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage internal and outsourced functions
- Oversee the operations of the accounting & finance department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department’s goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
- Forecast cash flow positions, related borrowing needs, and availability of funds
- Ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational and capital investment requirements
- Use hedging to mitigate financial risks related to the interest rates on the company’s borrowings, as well as on its foreign exchange positions
- Maintain banking relationships
- Assist in determining the company’s proper capital structure
- Arrange for equity and debt financing
- Recommend appropriate dividend issuances, based on historical dividend patterns and expected cash flows
- Manage the preparation of the company’s budget
- Report to management on variances from the established budget, and the reasons for those variances
- Assist management in the formulation of its overall strategic direction
- Engage in ongoing cost reduction analyses in all areas of the company
- Review the performance of competitors and report on key issues to management
- Engage in benchmarking studies to establish areas of potential operational improvement
- Interpret the company’s financial results to management and recommend improvement activities
- Review company bottlenecks and recommend changes to improve the overall level of company throughput
- Participate in target costing activities to ensure the company meets predetermined budgetary goals
- Compile key business metrics and report on them to management
- Manage the capital budgeting process, based on constraint analysis and discounted cash flow analysis
- Create additional analyses and reports as requested by management
- Oversee the extension of credit to customers
- Keep abreast of legislation or regulations that may affect the company’s business and operations
Desired Qualifications: The accounting and finance manager candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations. Excellent communication skills are essential, particularly in regard to presenting the results of analyses to management. Should have an outstanding knowledge of electronic spreadsheets.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. Will be expected to travel as needed to company subsidiaries.